12 Weeks Before You Move:
- If you own your home, contact your real estate agent to begin the selling process.
- Decide upon your preferred moving dates.
Research your new community by using on-line moving tools:
- Compare school districts
- Obtain free town/city reports
- Use a salary and mortgage calculator to compare new and old costs of living
- Set up a house-hunting trip to your new town or city.
- Find out if your employer will pay for the move, or will provide you with a lump sum or a direct reimbursement. If so, discuss Bekins' enCompass program.
- Have a garage sale or donate goods you do not wish to take with you. This will help you save costs on the move.
4-8 Weeks Before You Move:
- Contact SeaCure Moving, Inc. to schedule a convenient time for a free estimate.
- Purchase/rent your new home; arrange financing; establish close dates.
- Make a list of everyone you need to notify of your move.
- Obtain change of address cards from your local post office.
- Check with your school on transferring your children's school records.
- Research driver's license requirements for the state you are moving to.
- Find out from the IRS or your accountant if moving expenses can be tax deductible.
- Contact your insurance agent to discuss your new home's insurance needs.
- Enroll in a new bank in your new city.
- Organize your medical and dental records.
3 Weeks Before You Move:
- Make a decision on whether you will pack your own cartons or if you'd like to utilize a professional packing service.
- Begin the packing process (if you are doing it yourself).
- Compile all important personal records.
- Change your address on credit cards, magazine subscriptions, etc..
- If you have children, arrange for them to be at a babysitter during loading day.
- Arrange to have your utilities disconnected AFTER your move-out day (not before).
- Arrange to connect your utilities at your new home the day BEFORE your scheduled move-in day.
2 Weeks Before You Move:
- Plan to use all the food in your refrigerator and freezer.
- Clean your home and clear your basement and attic.
- Cancel all current delivery services, such as newspapers.
- Dispose of all flammables, cleaners, paints, aerosols, ammunition, etc.
- Transfer all current prescriptions to a local pharmacy near your new home.
- Clear out your safety deposit box.
- Transfer bank accounts.
- Verify that you have packed everything.
- Drain the oil and gasoline from your lawn mower and other power tools if they are to be moved .
One Week Before You Move:
- Confirm your travel arrangements for your family.
- Provide contact phone numbers for your moving agent so you are accessible while in transit.
- Empty and clean your appliances such as your refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, etc.
- Only use the household items that you absolutely need, such as sheets, towels, a few pans and dishes. Make sure everything else is ready to be moved.
Review all paperwork with your moving van driver.
Be available to check off inventory of all items moving.
- Once moving van is loaded, double check that nothing was left behind in your old home.
- Make sure your children and pets are not at home so that they do not get in the way of the movers.